100,000 Good Reasons
Businesses in the Portland metropolitan area account for nearly half of the garbage sent to local landfills. And though many of them already recycle, businesses in an average year still throw away more than 100,000 tons of recyclable paper, cardboard and containers. The Metro region has set a goal to capture 80,000 tons of this recyclable waste.
What are the benefits of increasing business recycling? If regional businesses recycle an additional 80,000 tons of paper and containers, we can:
Divert 80,000 tons of recyclable paper and containers currently sent to landfills.
Conserve natural resources, saving 1.2 million trees a year.
Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption.
Save 218,000 tons of carbon-dioxide equivalent = 42,000 cars driving in one year.
Save over 1.3 British Thermal Units of energy savings = one year of power for 15,000 homes.
Yield a net estimated $10.22 million in net environmental benefits.
Understanding the New Business
The Business Recycling Requirements (BRR) Ordinance calls for businesses to meet three basic requirements, which are easy to follow:
- Recycle all paper, cardboard and containers (aluminum cans, plastic bottles and tubs, and glass bottles and jars).
- Provide internal recycling receptacles throughout the workplace.
- Post signs at collection areas that indicate which materials must be recycled.
Free Assistance and Resources
- Recycling specialists can evaluate your current recycling practices and help your business create a system for recycling these materials.
- Small recycling boxes for underneath desks and tall recycling boxes for central locations can be delivered to your business for free.
- Free posters and signs as seen below can be dropped off at your business or printed from www.recycleatwork.com.
A helpful Business Recycling Program Brochure (PDF) is available to download. Call the City of Hillsboro's Sustainability Program at 503-681-5204 for additional information and resources.