General Commercial Zone C-1
Section 54. Uses Permitted Outright . In a C-1 zone the following uses and their accessory uses are permitted outright:
1) A use permitted outright in a C-4 zone, together with any of the following uses:
(a) Auditorium, exhibition hall, or other public assembly room.
(b) Bank, loan company, or similar financial institution.
(c) Blueprinting, Photostatting, or other reproduction processes.
(d) Bus passenger station.
(e) Catering establishment.
(f) Club, lodge.
(g) Eating or drinking establishment.
(h) Hotel or motel.
(i) Laboratory for experimental, photo, or electronic research or testing.
(j) Magazine or newspaper distribution agency.
(k) Medical or dental laboratory.
(l) Newspaper or printing establishment.
(n) Offices or clinics for medicine, dentistry or other practices of the healing arts.
(p) Retail stores or businesses.
(q) Secondhand store.
(r) Studio, including music, dancing, art, photography, or health.
(s) Telephone or telegraph exchange.
(t) Theater, except drive-in type.
(u) Wholesale office and showroom with merchandise on the premises limited to small parts and samples.
(v) Business, trade, or technical schools.
(2) Automobile or boat sales, rental, or storage. (Amended by Ord. No. 2526/8-72.)
(3) Book bindery.
(4) Building materials supply.
(5) (Deleted by Ord. No. 2873/1-78.)
(6) Cold storage plant.
(7) Commercial amusement or recreation activity.
(8) Custom manufacturing of goods for retail sale on the premises.
(9) Drive-in restaurant.
(10) Electric power generator, transformer station or substation.
(11) Fuel yard, provided liquid fuel storage and distribution is from underground tanks.
(13) Governmental Structure or Use except those specified in Section 55 (9) of this Ordinance.
(Amended by Ord. No. 2910/6-78.)
(14) Laundry or cleaning establishment.
(15) Machinery, farm equipment, truck or implement sales, service, or rental.
(16) Major retail use except as restricted in Section 56 (4). (Added by Ord. No. 5050/8-01.)
(18) Nursery or greenhouse.
(19) Storage building for household goods.
(20) Tire shop, including incidental recapping.
(21) (Deleted by Ord. No. 3029/8-79.)
(22) Trailer rental or sales establishment.
(23) Upholstering, plumbing, sign painting, blacksmith, machine, cabinet, carpenter, or similar craft or trade shop.
(24) Utility station or substation.
(25) Veterinary office or animal hospital.
(26) Wholesale store.
(27) Animal Services Facility including overnight boarding, but excluding outdoor exercise areas except as provided in Section 55. (Added by Ord. No. 5960/3-11.)
Section 55. Conditional Uses Permitted . In a C-1 zone the following uses and their accessory uses are permitted when in accordance with Sections 78 to 83:
(1) Improvement of an existing dwelling (as pertains to this subsection, the planning commission may waive the requirement of public hearing and payment of application fee if it be deemed desirable).
(2) Child Care Facility. (Amended by Ord. No. 5168/7-02.)
(3) Hospital, sanitarium, rest home, home for the aged, nursing or convalescent home.
(4) Group living structure. (Amended by Ord. No. 5667/9-06.).
(6) (Deleted by Ord. No. 5676/10-06. See Municipal Code Chapter 15.20.)
(7) A mobile home may be used as a sales office upon a mobile home sales lot when in accordance with the following conditions:
(a) A temporary permit is granted by the planning commission.
(b) This permit shall expire at the end of one year, but may, following reconsideration, be renewed by the planning commission.
(c) Such structure shall be allowed in this classification only if it relates directly to the sale of mobile homes, such sale of mobile homes being the sole use upon a lot or tract.
(d) Such structure shall not be used for dwelling purposes when located upon a mobile home sales lot.
(e) Such structure shall conform to the city sanitary sewer requirements and/or to county septic tank regulations if city sewers are not readily available.
(f) There shall be only one such structure used for office purposes located upon a mobile home sales lot.
(g) Minimum setback requirements of such structure shall be 25 feet from any public right-of-way.
(h) Minimum off-street parking requirements shall be six spaces, improved to asphaltic concrete standards. (Added by Ord. No. 2416/3-71. )
(8) Automobile service station. (Added by Ord. No. 2526/8-72.)
(9) Corrections Facilities including, but not limited to, jails, half-way houses, probation centers, and restitution centers. (Added by Ord. No. 2910/6-78.)
(10) Radio transmission facilities. (Added by Ord. No. 3194/12-80.)
(11) School: Junior high or senior high, college or university. (Added by Ord. No. 3711/7-87.)
(12) Light Rail Construction Area. (Added by Ord. No. 4300/12-94.)
(13) Transit Park and Ride. (Added by Ord. No. 4300/12-94.)
(14) Car Wash Facilities. (Added by Ord. No. 5106/2-02.)
(15) Outdoor exercise areas accessory to animal services facilities. (Added by Ord. No. 5960/3-11.)
Section 56. Limitations on Use . In a C-1 zone the following conditions and limitations shall apply:
(1) All business, service, repair, processing, storage, or merchandise display on property abutting a residential zone shall be conducted wholly within an enclosed building, unless screened from the residential zone by a sight-obscuring fence permanently maintained at least six feet in height.
(2) Openings to structures on sides adjacent to or across a street from a residential zone shall be prohibited if such access or openings will cause glare, excessive noise, or other adverse effects on residential properties.
(3) Motor vehicle, boat, or trailer rental or sales lots shall be drained and surfaced with crushed rock or pavement except in those portions of the lot maintained as landscape areas.
(4) Title 4: Major Retail Use Restriction Overlay Map. In compliance with Title 4, Retail in Employment and Industrial Areas of the adopted Metro Urban Growth Management Functional plan, the "Title 4 Major Retail Use Restriction Overlay Map" identifies where major retail uses are prohibited or restricted. Showing these prohibited or restricted areas is the only purpose of this overlay Map.
Within the "employment" areas shown on the Map currently ( August 21, 2001 ) zoned C-1 General Commercial where major retail uses are restricted, a new major retail use may be permitted as a conditional use pursuant to conditional use standards and it is demonstrated that:
(a) Transportation facilities are adequate to serve the retail use consistent with the City's Transportation System Plan and adopted Metro Regional Transportation System Plan and will be in place at the time when the retail use begins operation; and
(b) Transportation facilities are adequate to meet the transportation need for other planned land uses within the surrounding employment area are contained within the City's Transportation System Plan.
(Added by Ord. No. 5050/8-01.)
Section 57. Lot Size . In a C-1 zone the minimum lot width at the front building line shall be 50 feet.
Section 58. Height of Buildings . In a C-1 zone buildings shall not exceed 35 feet in height.
Section 59. Lot Coverage . In a C-1 zone business buildings shall not occupy more than 60 percent of the lot area.
Section 59A. Setback Requirements . The front yard and any side yard abutting upon a public street or alley shall be a minimum of one foot. (Added by Ord. No. 2497/3-72.)