On Thursday, May 24, 2012, the City of Hillsboro formally unveiled a new entrance sign for the Hillsboro Pioneer Cemetery. Designed by local craftsman, Dan Leuthold of Daniel’s Iron Design, the wrought iron entry gate welcomes visitors and, at the same time, honors this historic cemetery which contains some of the oldest graves in Hillsboro. The cemetery includes the graves of members of the Tongue family, William Hare, state legislator and Hillsboro Mayor; and John Shute, banker and donator of Shute Park. In addition to the new entrance way, a kiosk was also installed to invite visitors to learn more through display of maps, rules and hours, and contact information for those wanting to know more about the cemetery. The entrance sign and kiosk was funded in part by a $4,000 grant from the Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries and the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. Additional costs have been covered in a shared effort by the Hillsboro Parks and Administration Departments.
The Pioneer Cemetery, located at 1601 SW Baseline Street, contains some of the oldest graves in Hillsboro, including the grave of David Hill, the City’s namesake. In the late 19th Century, the Odd Fellows (IOOF) gardens were platted and dedicated as a cemetery, followed by the Masonic gardens. The northeastern section of the cemetery was originally acquired by Washington County for use to inter much of the indigent population at the time and was known as the “poor farm.” Those graves remain unmarked. From 1952 to 1989 the Hillsboro Cemetery Endowment Association provided regular maintenance at the cemetery through fundraising efforts and sponsorships. In 1965, the Tongue family plot became part of the cemetery. The City took over the maintenance and records for the cemetery via the dedication of properties, accepted by City Council resolution, in 1973.
The City Recorder's Office maintains the records and coordinates burials for the Hillsboro Pioneer Cemetery. Gravesites are not available for sale at this time, but burials are allowed on previously purchased plots. An alphabetical listing of burial plots and corresponding maps are available below. Please review the plot and map key first. For additional questions, contact the City Recorder's Office using the information listed at the bottom of the page.
To access the cemetery you will need to travel westbound on SW Baseline Street/Oregon Highway 8. The cemetery is located at the edge of a one-way traffic grid.
These documents were assembled from files kept on a server. There may be errors in the source files. If any reader identifies any errors, please contact the City Recorder's Office. Although every effort is made to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained in these documents, the City of Hillsboro makes no warranty, guarantee or promise, expressed or implied, concerning the content of the documents. The City disclaims any responsibility for damages, direct or indirect, consequential or otherwise, caused by reliance upon this electronic version. All warranties and guarantees of accuracy are hereby expressly disclaimed. There may be some differences between this electronic version and the official version on file in the City Recorder's Office. The reader is advised that, in case of conflict, the version in the City Recorder's Office will be held to be the official document. Neither the City of Hillsboro, nor its elected and appointed officials, officers, employees nor agents shall be liable for any loss, cost, expense or liability of any kind arising from the use of this material.
City Recorder's Office
City of Hillsboro
150 East Main Street
Hillsboro, OR 97123
Phone: (503) 681-6117
Fax: (503) 681-6232
Email the City Recorder's Office